Sunday, October 13, 2013

Cuban Sandwiches

Today I went to do my shopping and found Cuban bread! This is the first time in 5 years of being here that I have found any Cuban bread, so to say the least, I was very excited and bought a few loaves! So on the menu today will be Cuban sandwiches! Now I have made these many times before but would have to use French or Italian bread instead of Cuban.  I still have some pork left over from my "Lechon Asado" so I will not have to make that tonight.

Ingredients:

Cuban Roast Pork (Lechon Asado) (thinly sliced)
1 loaf of Cuban Bread
1/4 pound thin sliced ham (I am using honey ham but Virginia Ham works well also)
8 slices Swiss cheese
mustard
sliced dill pickles
softened butter

Directions:

Cut the bread open from one end to the other
spread mustard on top side
on the bottom start to layer sliced roast pork, ham, cheese and top with pickle slices
close the bread and cut into three to four pieces (depending on how big you would like your sandwiches, I cut mine in 3)
 butter both sides of the bread
if you have a panini or sandwich press place the sandwiches in and close the lid . Cook until golden brown and crunchy on both sides (should only take a few minutes)
if you do not have one, no matter, place sandwich in a skillet and weigh it down with something heavy ( I use a plate and place a large can of crushed tomatoes on it) (you can also use a cast iron skillet or other heavy item)  brown on one side then flip and brown on the other.
Cut the sandwich diagonally and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment